Thursday, June 26, 2008

On Self-Actualization

I am writing. Thank goodness I am writing.
It is my dream to be a real writer, and I have called myself a writer for some time now, but for the first time, I actually feel like I am worthy of that title. I have been writing so much of late. For my birthday in my I received one of the sweetest gifts possible: a leather-bound, unlined journal. Since then I have been constantly filling those blank sheets with my thoughts and ideas, and few random entries here and there. I also have a blog now, which is kind of like a journal, but with the intent of others reading it.
Those two have kept me writing fairly consistently (well, this blog only went up a short while ago, but you get the idea). However, what really prompts me to believe that I am becoming a real writer is the fact that I have finally begun writing a play. I have been messing with ideas and talking about writing for a while, but I finally sat down and just started writing one. I wrote three plays for my playwriting class, but those were all assignments, and the longest was only a one act. This will be a full length play, written of my own volition. It is such a great feeling just to be working on it, to overcome my laziness, sit down with pencil and paper, and write. I have discovered a few very strong characters, and the dialogue I have so far is coming along nicely. I am far from an expert on the world of theatre, but I feel like this play has the potential to be very good. I know it is a good story, but my ability to tell that story is what will determine how good it actually ends up.
I feel even more strongly now that I am meant to write...to be a writer, not just in hope, but in truth. I do not know what sort of things I will end up writing, but God has given me such an incredible love for the use of words that I cannot help doing much else. It brings me such joy to write, and it is good for the soul, especially for one such as mine which rarely finds voice through the tongue and so often must rely on the pen.

2 comments:

Chester said...

"toungue?"
Wouldn't you know, the first time you enable comments, I criticize you for spelling. :)
I'm glad that your play is going so well. I fully expect to be able to read a completed first draft come September.
I can't wait to live with you!

Karen said...

Teehee. Toungue. And on my blog you wrote 'Whuthering.' I love you so much. Hahaha.
But yeah, if you write it, I'll read it. You're like...really good. Really.
And even if you sucked at writing (you are the opposite of sucking at writing), I would still read it.
Because you're Greg Fox, yo. Bam. No further explanation required.