Sunday, August 10, 2008

On Escaping Standardization

I have been discovering just how weak humans are. Of course, this is a fact that I have known for a long time, but for some reason, it has recently come to the forefront of my observation in a specific way. The human race is becoming play-doh. I am sure this is somewhat of a trend around the world, but I especially note it in America, simply because that is where I happen to live. Individuality is so rare. People so easily take the shape of whatever mold into which they are pressed. Apathy is running rampant.
I hate apathy.
Now, I know that we are supposed to be clay in the hands of the potter and that we are just stupid sheep who are made to follow, but what are we following? What are we allowing to shape us? And the question that drives me mad: Where are all the good leaders? When the human race is thinking less and less for itself, and there are thousands of voices spouting a constant stream of lies, where are the voices proclaiming truth? People were made to be contagious and were made to find their identity from outside of themselves. Advertisers know this. Satan certainly knows this. Why is the church fumbling it?
What chance does the world have if the good people do nothing?
The world is looking for leaders. When so many just want someone to follow, why won't anyone step up? I guess we are all afraid of standing out, afraid of standing alone, afraid of standing with people at our back.
I hate fear.
In Christ we have freedom from fear. Let's stand up. Let's show the world that they can find their identity in Christ. Everyone is looking for something or someone to follow. Let's give them better options.

1 comment: