Friday, April 17, 2009

On Irony

I believe that God loves irony.

Think about it. He already knows everything. All of human history is just one big dramatic irony. With every stunning revelation, God must just chuckle and say, "Hey, I knew that!"

I think irony is one of my favourite forms of humour. As a result, God and I have had many a good laugh together. Those are some of the best moments I have with God. I will be talking to him, sometimes frustrated, sometimes broken, seeking for some answer, when suddenly I will realize that what I am seeking is a truth God has already told me or a verse that I have learned.

Then I will say, "Oh. Yeah. Now I get it." I usually end up laughing. What else can I do? It has been good learning to laugh at my occasional incompetence. I enjoy laughing with God. In those moments he seems so much like a best friend or an older brother. It is great. I love talking to God out loud.

No comments: