Wednesday, September 9, 2009

On Splendour


Angel of Death

I hear her footsteps
Can you hear them?
They are faint now
But coming closer
Growing ever louder
Autumn is coming closer
I feel her in the chill breath of wind
I see her in the patch of coloured leaves
I hear her in those ever louder footsteps
Autumn is coming.
Very soon now
The trees will go up like fireworks
Burst with the colour of flame
Then fall away
Like smoke and ash
For Autumn in all her beauty
Is nevertheless
An angel of death
She is the downward stroke
Of Time's sharp sickle
And all of the leaves tremble
Knowing how soon she will be arrived
Knowing
Their end is near
But it is not an end without grace
For Autumn gives to every death
A gift
A final measure of splendour
Turning every leaf to a treasure
So every eye will note
And marvel at their passing.
This is her greatest act
And I see
The she has already begun
Already started her work
Do you hear her footsteps?
the leaves are changing
Autumn is coming.

1 comment:

starbird said...

Autumn brings new air.
Soon she will sweep me up in her leafy arms and I will hide in the scent of dusk.