Friday, April 1, 2011

On Memory

It has been a while since I shared any poetry on this blog. That is mostly because I have been in a poetry slump lately, for whatever reason. Then yesterday, I came up with this, and it seemed like a bit of alright, so I decided to share it, though I haven't managed to come up with a title yet:


It had been twelve months until
I saw you today, a surprise--you
walked ahead of me, wearing a blue peacoat,
just like the red one you used
to wear every day--the coat you wore
the last time I saw you, when we said
goodbye twelve months ago.

They were your same walnut curls
running free, your long lithe legs,
I almost called your name, but
I didn't have to, you must have felt
my gaze because just then you stopped
and turned. Our eyes met.
It wasn't you.

She was as pretty as you (probably
prettier, though memory makes you
an angel), but her eyes were empty--
no recognition, no surprise, just the reflection
of my disappointed face. Still,
I wished that she would smile at me,
kiss me once and say "I love you."

I haven't heard those words for twelve months now
I haven't heard those words since since you

No comments: