Tuesday, August 30, 2011

On Momentous Events

When I decided to attend Drew University, I had no idea that living in New Jersey would be so exciting. I moved here on a Saturday, and by the next Sunday I had experienced an earthquake and a hurricane (the lovely Irene who has done some significant damage to the east coast).

This all sounds very exciting, but for me, they were not all that tremendous. I was in the library when the earthquake struck, and thus noticed some bookshelves rocking slightly, and somewhat of a tremour, but that was about it. All the buildings on campus were evacuated for about a half-hour, but that just gave me the opportunity to sit outside in the sun, which I enjoy anyway. As for the hurricane, I slept through the worst of it and wasn't awoken once. However, surveying the damage the next morning was quite interesting. Drew is known for the many trees on its campus, and the number of those trees is somewhat smaller after the storm. I actually had quite a bit of fun taking pictures of uprooted trunks and dismembered branches, as well as the flooding on campus.

Of course, when I got back to my room, I saw that Drew had sent out an e-mail including the following notice:
As the storm begins to move out, we are still left with some real challenges on campus, particularly flooding and downed trees. We ask that everyone on campus be aware that trees and tree limbs are expected to continue to come down posing a very considerable risk to safety. People should not be climbing on the fallen trees, walking into large pools/ponds of water, entering flooded spaces or using electric powered devices or machines in flooded areas
As it so happens, I had done all of those things they warned against, including getting hit by a falling branch (don't worry, it was a tiny one). I understood a little better why they were so concerned when, on the following day, I noticed that in the high winds that had continued on Sunday, several more trees had fallen, one of which I had stood under for a little while. Oops. I guess someone was looking out for me.

In other news, classes have officially begun. I am still a little overwhelmed by the prospect of studying history. It is a field that I am not accustomed too, but I am diving in head first and looking forward to seeing what I will learn.

No comments: