Wednesday, March 11, 2009

On the Post-Modern World

I can't believe I passed by my 50th blog post without even realizing it. Now I won't be able to celebrate a marker until I reach 100, whenever that comes. Ah well, perhaps it is better this way.
The following poem started out mostly as an experiment in style and vocabulary, but I really liked what came out of it, I am not sure if I think it is done, but I am finally going to post it and see if it gets a reaction. Maybe it is silly of me to expect one and even sillier to admit it, but now that I have, please feel free to tell me what you think, or if it even makes any sense at all.

The Nebulous Malaise

I am the phantasmagoric
Image of the waning
Light that rains in destitute
Shards as I shake my jaded
Fist at all the lofty
Dust in the broken
Derelict
Death
Wears a tragically ornate
Masquerade among the foolhardy
Confidants who think that their vapid
Silence amounts to more than the gleaming
Fragility of modern
Aspiration
Hunger
Gnaws in all the shouting
Hearts that palpitate beneath the shadowed
Egos in their corrupt
Dungeons as the transcendental
Cowards avoid the dreadful
Genuine because fractured
Comprehension refuses the bloody
Truth
Burdens
Plummet through the everlasting
Darkness with flabbergasted
Souls who battled fitful
Time beneath the ever watchful
Fate they fashioned with a purloined
Pestle by beating out the obtuse
Beauty of incomprehensible
Uniqueness
Shadows
Poison the disconcordant
Avenues where the effervescent
Lightning lies in murky
Heaps with the malused
Thunder as the ostentatious
Shroud defenestrates sacred
Hope
Loss
Permeates the distant
Spirit of former
Idealism with a stagnant
Disillusionment as the raucous
Sea consumes the flailing
Stragglers clinging to an irresolvable
Nothing
Distance
Hides behind falsified
Proximity when the opaque
Faces dissemble with practiced
Barriers before dissipating like stifling
Smoke to which we give our metamorphosed
Worship though it hangs like beggared
Loneliness
Pursuit
Continues in the labyrinthine
Twilight where I find the perpetual
Derision and the looming
Menace of colluding
Fears
Light
Illumines the broken
Vagabonds and leads their belaboured
Spirits through overbearing
Shame where I am found in tattered
Knowledge with discarded
Logic of the striving
Generations who have led me to this brutal
Juncture and I finally discern the repulsive
King whose humiliated
Body shows the immaculate
Source of long-awaited
Life

1 comment:

Living by the Pen said...

I like that this stemmed from an experiment with vocabulary. I love words. :D It is a very interesting piece to read. My favorite bit is the last 13 lines. But I think the whole thing paints a very vivid picture. When you read it there seems to be an ongoing battle between dark and light imagery, leading to the hope at the end. Very Interesting.