Monday, December 21, 2009

On the Christmas Story

During church yesterday, I started to think about the Christmas story, and an interesting notion struck me. I am still working through the idea, but I tried to write a poem that would express it. I'm not sure if it entirely makes sense, but I'll post it here anyway.

Innocent Blood

Everyone knows that Jesus died
They hung him on a cross
Pierced his side
His feet
His hands
They killed him
And he died
To be our atonement
A perfect sacrifice
With pure and innocent blood
And there was weeping in Jerusalem
As there had been many years before
Not far away
In Bethlehem
When Herod killed the baby boys
Trying to kill a king
They were slaughtered in the streets
Before their mothers' eyes
Their pure and innocent blood
Poured out
while the family of Jesus escaped
A gruesome sacrifice
But we were atoned by those deaths
Those cruel deaths
That saved the life of our Lord
So he could be placed on the altar

1 comment:

dr3am3r said...

i think you captured what you desired to say. the concept was more than I have ever considered before. I had to read through your poem twice before I thought I understood only because I had never looked at the Christmas story like that before. thank you.