Sunday, June 27, 2010

On Experimenting with Form

When he awoke, he saw the dark.
It comforted him.

Down we go
Down we go
The stars go out
The clouds part
We do not know
We do not know

Like those of his race, he could not see in the dark, and though this often frightens them, he was different. In the dark, his world was smaller.

Simpler.

Safe
I'm safe
Yes?
Yes
What is
Is it
Safe
I'm safe
No?
No
There is
Is nothing

Nothing was coming.
Nothing was going.
Not that he could see anyway.

Some would say this led to a greater need for concern.
But not he.
If he couldn't see it.
It didn't exist.

At some point, he started walking. He could usually see the ground, but not always.

My shadow walks beside me
below me
my shadow walks
and I walk beside my shadow
He sets his foot on mine
and I walk not on the ground
I walk on my shadow

Foot
followed
foot.

He had discovered long ago that walking was nothing more than an exercise in controlled falling. So when there was no more ground, he kept moving his feet. He was neither aware, nor did he care.
He walked.
And then he was moving forward again.

A voice
somewhere
said
he's crazy

whisper
sounds
like whisper
the sounds of whispers
whisper
sounds
the whisper of sounds

They didn't understand.
Neither did he, but
they tried.

He hummed,
and it was haunting,

and the voices murmured
slowly
louder

No comments: