Monday, September 15, 2008

On the Continued Pursuance of Wonder

I know I said that I would post my good poems as they came. I do not know if this is a good one, but I really like it. It makes me happy, so I decided to post it anyway. My poems have been quite melancholy of late. I think it is partly owing to the constant grey skies we have had for the last week. I love grey skies, but when I write beneath them, I write with a somber melancholy. Anyway, here is a poem.

Ode to a Dragon


Gone
Gone
The mighty beast is gone
A little bit of magic
Is lost
So far gone
Where is the great lizard,
The lord of all the skies,
Where?
The hawks
Circling above
Are a mockery.
Where is the creature
Who blotted out the sun
Whose beating wings
Could shake the earth
Where?
Man
And beast
Trembled at his coming
fled at his approach
Hid when he drew near
But once the dragon came,
They stood
In awe.
Shrouded by smoke
His eyes shown forth
Ever burning embers
Keen,
Wise,
Terrible,
The eyes of a creature
Who knows his power
Who knows that he is feared.
Majestic
But now gone,
Making the world
A smaller place.
Where are you ancient one?
Why did you disappear?
Why did you die?
Why was your flame
Extinguished?

2 comments:

Karen said...

I really like this, Gregory. I've always wanted to ride a dragon. Or be a dragon for a day. Sometimes I pretend I'm a dragon and imagine flames coming out of my mouth.....wait, what? Ummmm...I'm awesome. I bet you're so proud to be the friend of a complete and total NERD. And not even a cool nerd...like the ones they talk about on the 'I heart nerds' t-shirts. No. A socially rejected nerdiest of nerds.

Nathaniel FitzGerald said...

Allow me to imagine that this song is about a pteranodon.
Thank you.