Sunday, September 28, 2008

On the Individual

I sometimes struggle to escape cynicism when I look at the world in general, but especially at America. I suppose it is because I live here and see so many of its shortcomings. Sometimes I have to remind myself that it is not as dismal a place as I tend to think. We have yet to do anything the Romans didn't do, we've just discovered new ways of doing them. That is not really an encouraging thought, however. It makes me wonder how long before our modern "empire" falls. I have a dreadful feeling that it will, but as yet I cannot see how or when. There I am, back to my dismal outlook again. No, America has, in fact, done some good, and it would be quite wrong to give up on the country especially when it is my home.
Nevertheless, there are some aspects of American culture that really disgust me. Chief among these is the prevalent egotism in our society. I do not mean the society as a whole, though there is that. Mostly I am referring to the extreme self-centredness that is cultivated in each and every individual. I know it is a part of our human nature, but we seem to do a very good job of encouraging it around here. Somehow we managed to idolize the individual and decided that it was a far better thing to be independent. Silly.

Self-Reliance

Thanks a lot Emerson
You transcendental sage
Thanks
You gave us all self-reliance
Now we can get by
On our own
Alone
And be proud of what we've done
If I succeed
It's me
I succeeded
Me
Myself
I did it
It's all for
Me
I'll stand upon the peak
At the zenith
To survey the far spread world
The world that I have conquered
Alone
Me
By myself
There I'll find my actualization
And then at last I can die
When everyone is looking up to me
I can die
Alone
Without any help
After I fall
While everyone is watching
Me
I'll fall
Down
And die
On my own
I don't need anybody
I can do it by myself
I can die by myself
When the world I try to carry
Crushes
Me

1 comment: