Tuesday, October 21, 2008

On Emulation

I am going to be a writer, of some sort. Of that much I am certain. However, the question remains, what sort of writer am I to be?
I have dreamed of being a writer for almost as long as I can remember. I actually don't know if I ever actually considered anything else. My parents probably know. Regardless, for a long time, I have also aspired to be like other writers. Usually it was my favourite author at the time, but sometimes it was merely one that interested me. I have sought to emulate the sci-fi imagination of H. G. Wells, the incredible and gripping plot complexity of Alexandre Dumas, the virtuosity, scholarly simplicity, and skill for parable of C. S. Lewis, the scope of J. R. R. Tolkien, the poetry and prolificity of Shakespeare, the character development of Dickens, and the sheer brilliance of Dostoevsky. All of these, especially Lewis and Shakespeare, have inspired me greatly. At times, I have thought, if only I could write like that. Think what I could do or say if I could write like that.
I'm sick of it.
It is time I was through with that.
I want to write like Greg. I want to write novels and plays and poetry and maybe even more. I don't want to try to be like another writer because at the very best, I could only stand in their shadow, especially if I pick such giants as those aforementioned. There is nothing wrong with having influences, but I want to write the way I write, and I'll leave it to the scholars to figure out like whom I am most similar.
So there.

1 comment:

Jess Smith said...

Gregory Fox, the Writer. I like it. But I didn't need a blog to tell me you're a writer. Soon I'll have proof on my wall. Glad to have read more about your heart's tuggings, friend. Keep listening. Keep resting.