Friday, October 31, 2008

On the Mind

In my attempt to become a better poet through rigourous discipline, I have sometimes experimented with stream of consciousness poems. I always find this interesting, though I rarely understand them, especially if they come from my mind. Below is a stream of consciousness poem I wrote a couple of nights ago, and for whatever reason, I find it really quite fascinating. However, I am at a loss to understanding it. If there is anyone out there who would like to analyze this poem or grant some feedback, I would be most obliged.

The Messenger

The trees drip
Rain
Snow
Fluffy white clouds
In my head
I'm drowning
Deep
In the sea
In the dark
Where the shifting twilights
Come alive
To snatch away
Homes
And lives
And make misery
Reign
Like a fool
On a throne
For apes
Where mockery
Sings
A mournful song
That no one knows
Though they hum along
At empty tables
In the shadows
Waiting
For a finale
To lull them
To sleep.

1 comment:

Nathaniel FitzGerald said...

I am all but incapable of writing anything but stream of consciousness poems.