Friday, July 10, 2009

On Carpentry

I was very excited for this summer when I found out that one of my job titles would be carpenter. I have been building sets for three years, but this is the first time I have ever been called a carpenter. However, even then, I did not feel like a real carpenter until I used a wood chisel. Accomplishing a task without the aid of power tools suddenly made me feel like I actually deserve the title.
Oddly enough, it also makes me feel like I have a new sense or understanding of who Jesus was. I wonder if he had calluses in some of the same places I do, I wonder how he dealt with splinters, I wonder what the sawdust that coated him would have smelled like (I always end up smelling like pine), and I wonder how many cool things he could make with a wood chisel. It's always cool to find something in common with Jesus. I just hope I have more in common with him than a marketable skill set.

1 comment:

Karen said...

:) You do, my friend.