Sunday, July 12, 2009

On Nomenclature

In my continuing saga of writing poems about writing poems, I had a good time writing this one about a choice that most every poet makes, but one that is rarely given any thought. I don't know why, but I tend to adopt a very different tone when I write these sort of poems. Is it because I'm writing from outside of myself? Are they less personal? Maybe in some ways. Although, it is still in the first person. I am probably thinking too hard about this. I just know that it is fun to write about poets. We are such strange people who do such strange things and think in strange ways. Hopefully this poem captures at least one facet of that.

Addressing a Poem

How should I write it?
To whom should I address my verse?
Should it be to her?
Or should it be to you?
To write to you
Is to speak my feelings
Into the heart of whoever reads
To speak the words that may be longed for
As though we were face to face
As though we knew each other truly
But it is dangerous to write to you
For what if the words are secret?
Written to only a single you?
So whenever the poem was read
It would be a conversation overheard
Words cheapened
Secrets stolen
Given to a heart which had not earned them.
But to write to her
Provides a certain anonymity
For no one knows who she might be
A secret love
A faultless Muse
Or maybe even an unknown you
Regardless
Praise will make her timeless
She will be forever enshrined
While a you will change with every read.
With every poem
Comes the choice
To write to her or you
But always
The greatest fear
Is that you will never realize
The she I adore is you.

No comments: