Tuesday, August 4, 2009

On the Matrix

"You're going to realize just as I did, there's a difference between knowing the path and walking the path."

Yes. This is a quote from the Matrix. And even though that is the movie that tricked us all into thinking that Keanu Reeves might be able to act, the film still has some redeeming qualities. Among those are its intelligence. The depth of that movie is such that there are many lessons that Christians can learn from it. One of those lessons is the one mentioned above: "
there's a difference between knowing the path and walking the path."
I don't know about you, but I sometimes get overly preoccupied with "doing the right thing," or "choosing the right path." Okay, I frequently get preoccupied with such concerns, especially as a Christian. There is a very strong movement among Christians to make sure that you are following God's will. I think this is incredibly important, but this is a very vague concept, and it is usually not very well explained. There is only further confusion added by going to school on a Christian campus where it seems like everyone is searching for God's will in different ways and with different definitions. I have understood for a while that there is something lacking in my conception of God's will, but it did not hit me until recently when I was watching the Matrix with a couple of my coworkers.

There's a difference between knowing the path and walking the path.

I don't have to know exactly what God's will is for my life. Perhaps he has a specific will for me, but he hasn't revealed much of it if he does. However, I know that God would have me obey his commands and live a life of love. He has told me that directly in his word. That is a path I can walk. I don't need to know all of the twists and turns or even where it will take me. All God asks is that I walk in that path and trust him with the rest.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A friend once said, "God doesn't care what you do [meaning your occupation], but rather how you do it." Now you can tear that apart on various levels, but I think it echos what you are saying. Walk in His ways, and He will guide you to His will. :)
Mom