Wednesday, November 3, 2010

On Mist

Whenever I think about the fact that we have only a brief time on this earth, and none of my days are guaranteed, I have one of two reactions. Either I am drawn to freak out about all of the many things that I have not done or have not accomplished or wish I could do, or I am drawn to forget about all obligation, desire, or aspiration and to merely live in the moment--be where I am--simply exist and enjoy the things which could be taken away in a moment.

Fortunately (and I mean that sincerely), I am a moderate in temperament (along with most facets of my life), and I do not change so swiftly or easily that either of these inclinations should cause me much trouble. However, I fell them there--always pulling at my mind. And I wonder whether it is greater wisdom to ignore them both or to find the place where they meet and head in that direction.

No comments: