Wednesday, November 19, 2008

On a Different Perspective of Winter

Yesterday I posted a poem relating falling snow to deaths. I was really happy with the poem, but a certain friend of mine (cough-cough-HANNAH-cough-cough) had quite an adverse reaction to the association between death and snow, even going so far as to say that her world was shattered. I would hate to be responsible for the destruction of someones world, especially by means of darkening their love for the beauty of snow. As a result of this friend's comment and the picturesque landscape that was so pervasive today, I decided to write the following poem. Hopefully, it can in some way rekindle this friend's hope in winter.

Waking

I forgot how to use my eyes
Until today
And the brilliance
My eyes
Had grown quite lazy
With rainy spring mornings
Hazy summer days
And muted Autumn afternoons,
But now,
Now,
Light
The sun rose on a whitewashed world
The rays don't just fall on the earth
They race in every direction
And it hurts my eyes
To take in the glory
Long forgotten
Now returning
Snow

1 comment:

starbird said...

thank you.