Friday, November 28, 2008

On Giving Thanks

I know you are supposed to do this on Thanksgiving Day, but a day late never hurt anybody. The following is a list of things for which I am thankful.

1. Grace. There can be nothing more rich in my life than the gift of eternal life given to me by the sacrifice of Jesus Christ.
2. My family. Being at college, I sometimes forget just how wonderful these people are and how blessed I am to call them my family. It is a knowledge that is always present in my mind, but I am not always conscious of the extent to which they are wonderful. My father is an incredibly strong and compassionate man. My mother cares so fiercely for all of us. My sister is always surprising me, and I am so proud of her.
3. My friends. It would be unfair to try to list all of the friends for which I am thankful because so many wonderful people have come into my life, and it would be a tragedy to forget one of them because each of my friends has been so integral to who I am today.
4. Bethel College. The place is certainly not perfect, but what on earth is anymore? God continually works through this place in my life, and I know that it is exactly where I belong.
5. Gifts. Not presents. That will come in December. No, these are the gifts that God has given me. I am aware that he has blessed me in so many ways, and I want to do my very best to use these talents to their fullest in his name. I can think of no better use of my abilities.
6. Weaknesses. If I am thankful for my God given strengths, then I must be thankful for the weaknesses he has given me as well. I am more acutely aware of some of my faults then others, but it is good to be reminded that I am far from perfect and not nearly so deserving of praise as I sometimes fall into thinking.
7. Changes of Season. As a poet, especially one who loves nature's beauty as much as I do, few things brighten the day more than a new view out the window. Fresh inspiration.
8. The Lack of Sharp Objects on Bethel's Grounds. This affords me the freedom to go about barefoot with relatively little concern for the well being of my soles.
9. Great Artists. Few things inspire me more than seeing the passionate art of others in any medium. My subject matter may come from a variety of sources, but the muse so often strikes after being impacted by the product of someone else's muse.
10. Unlined Leather Bound Journals. Does this really need an explanation?

This list is far from complete, but it is a sufficient sampling of some of the things for which I am most thankful. Finally, thank goodness for a holiday that forces us to think about our blessings. It can heal a lot of pessimism and cynicism if you are serious about it.

1 comment:

Jess Smith said...

We are blessed, are we not? I love seeing what God have given you, and also how aware you are of both your weaknesses and strengths. Giving thanks is good-plus, I find that when I verbalize or write down all that I have, it becomes so tangible. Thanks for this.