Saturday, November 22, 2008

On Surprises

I have always wanted to be a writer. I am pretty sure that when I say always, it actually means always. I do not actually remember desiring any other career. While it is true that I have always love art as well, the only career association I ever made with that field was the possibility of someday being able to illustrate my own books. I am pretty sure that this desire is genetic. My mother is an amateur playwright and my father is a skilled journalist; somehow, I decided that my goal was to be a novelist. I guess we need one in the family.
However, after 19 and-a-half years of life, I have written poems, short stories, essays, news articles, and even plays, but never a novel. Essentially, I have written almost everything but a novel. During my younger days, I made a few fleeting attempts, but none of these even surpassed a score of pages before my efforts were abandoned. While it is true that I am young, I still find it somewhat ironic that I remain so far from what has long been my greatest ambition. To add on top of this, I am now in the beginning stages of writing a screenplay.
I have never wanted to write scripts for movies. The closest I have ever come was thinking of an idea for a play that would work better as a movie. However, in a slew of videos made by friends and a striking of the muse, I found myself with a strange desire to make a movie sometime. I expressed this idea to my roommate, and he wisely replied, "So make one."
Brilliant.
Since that moment, thoughts of what this movie could possibly be have flooded my mind. In a day, I have already begun developing plot and characters, come up with camera angles, and thought about a soundtrack. In my head, it seems like a pretty incredible movie. However, I have never made a movie before. I have very little idea how much it requires. Nevertheless, inspiration has struck me, and I feel that this is an idea worth pursuing. My only qualm is not even my lack of experience, but my lack of resources. Being a perfectionist in my art, I would not want this film to be shoddy. If I were to make it, I would want the final quality to be superb. Unfortunately, I do not have access to the sort of equipment that would make that possible viz. camera, microphones, editing software... I also have very little idea how to acquire these items. So, I am determined that this movie will be made, I just have no idea how.

3 comments:

Jess Smith said...

Wow...that is a surprise. But, as my blog suggests, I like surprises! Greg, that is an awesome desire. I love that you've already gone crazy with plan. So, you're writing a screenplay...I love it! I can't wait to hear more!

Chester said...

This roommate of yours--sounds like a sage fellow.

starbird said...

I doubt a movie made by you and Chester would end up 'shoddy'. Possible and improbable.

Oh and Chester. Greg's roommate is quite the interesting character. You two should meet sometime.