Wednesday, June 17, 2009

On Church

Last night I went with my girlfriend and another friend to a young adult service at Crossroads Community Church at their north campus. I really did not know what to expect, but it was one of the coolest things I have done in a long time. I had a really good feeling about it as soon as I walked in and saw that everyone was sitting around tables. There was a brief time of worship, then a sort of guided discussion. We ended up talking about problems with the church. And we were IN church. It was very cool. It's something that needs to happen more often. The church has problems, more than I can possibly know how to list or even begin to think about solving. However, if the church comes together and recognizes these, maybe they will begin to change. That was the most beautiful part of the night: just the dialogue. It felt like what church was supposed to be. People coming together and seeking the truth about God, and talking about it with one another. I am not saying that there isn't a place for traditional church services, and it is not a debate I would be excited about getting involved in, it was just nice to feel unity in Christ.
On top of all that, I got to see my former youth pastor and mentor, Karl. He is an awesome guy, and it is always wonderful when I get to talk with him and catch up. Only adding to the coolness was the fact that we sang the song, Fire, Fall Down, a song I have not sang since Timber Lakes Camp over a year ago. It was also special because of a poem I had written only days earlier. It was from the perspective of an Elijah-esque character, trying to call down fire from heaven, but failing because he sought it with impure motives (not a self-referential analogy, just for the record). Thus, I was able to seek the fire, the Spirit of God while re-examining my own motives. It was an incredibly fitting song, all the more so because it was already dear to my heart.
I guess my point is, it was a jolly good evening.

1 comment:

starbird said...

I hope you make it back there.