Sunday, June 14, 2009

On Thinking

So I've been thinking for a while that I want to write a post on free-will versus determinism, but after my lengthy, and I'm afraid, rather dry thoughts on justice, I'm going to hold off on more philosophy and just let my thoughts simmer for a while. That way they will be more tender and soak in the flavour. Don't think too hard about that analogy.

I blame my recent overload of deep thoughts on my May term class. Granted, that ended two weeks ago, but the experience of ingesting a semester's worth of philosophy in just three weeks is enough to leave a deep impression on anyone, let alone someone like me who actually enjoys thinking. Every time we alighted on an interesting subject during our three hour class sessions, I would find myself thinking, "Ooh! I should blog my thoughts on this topic." However, now that my philosophical intake has slowed down a bit, I am starting to realize that there are probably not many people who care to read my thoughts on the mind-body problem. I think that the real reason I blog about stuff like this is that it helps me to organize my own thought. Hmm...writing as a form of self-definition and a construction of identity...more things to ponder.

But I shall leave all that for another time. In other news, I am stoked to start working for Notre Dame's Summer Shakespeare Festival tomorrow. These two weeks off have been nice, but I am ready for some activity. A forty hour work week will probably more than suffice to provide all of the activity I could want, but that's what I signed up for, so bring it on.
If nothing else, having two weeks off afforded me plenty of time to read some great novels. Speaking of which, I am also looking forward to reading my first whole novel by the James Joyce. I am not sure I am quite ready for Dubliners, but it is about time I set myself to the task. We'll see what comes of that.


Thoughts on free-will coming on a date to be determined later.

1 comment:

Chester said...

Not to rain on your parade, but Dubliners is a collection of short stories.