Thursday, June 25, 2009

On What I Saw with Scotty

So, the event I'm going to describe happened a few days ago, but I still want to share it, because it was too wonderful to keep to myself.

Fireflies

The sun set late
After a long summer day
Flecks of gold tint the vermilion skies
Twilight slowly spreads
Filling the sky
The way hot cocoa warms the body.
We sit in the grass
Cool beneath the darkening sky
Listening to the rippling water
And a light blinks beside me
The first firefly of summer
It hovers beside me
It rests in my hand
Blinks
And flies away beneath the trees
Where other little yellow lights
Flicker in the night
Rising like spark from a fire
Lighting
And extinguishing
Like the passing thoughts
That go forever unspoken

For all those of you who may have been seeing fireflies for weeks, please do not spoil my joy by posting on here and telling me all about it. I am living in the city this summer, so my nature quota is quite low right now.

1 comment:

starbird said...

In the city?